Wednesday 13 March 2013

Wind in the Willows: Research

Oh this project. Was a struggle. I began with looking at Atonement and thought not to bother with the Penguin competition. However I began to get jealous of people drawing cute things so thought sod it, I want to do that too. A week had already gone by, bugger.


After perusing Waterstones and Amazon, I noticed something. Wind in the Willows covers are very green, therefore, I won't use green. REVELATION!


I spent the longest time faffing around on this project deciding what to do. I did a lot of character drawings, which were cute but I just didn't know how to incorporate those into a book cover. So I decided to move on and chose a scene in the book to illustrate. BUT NOT USE GREEN.


The scene I chose was when Mole was running through the woods looking for Badgers house - quite a sinister scene if you ask me. My colour scheme was Orange, Grey and Black. However, because I'd left it SO LATE these were my only sketches! How disappointing.


In the brief it specified it wanted some nice typography, so I had a go. Did many of this, many different types but I decided in the end to go with a swirly one to contract the shapes in my final image.


This is my final cover, which I created digitally. I've never done "digital painting" before so I thought I'd give it a go - didn't realise how long it'd take me. Many hours were spent on this, but I don't really think it looks like that. It's alright, but it's not brilliant. I think what makes it stand out from others I've seen is the colours, thats it though. I would've like to spend more time on it, making the tree's better and stuff but I got mad and lost interest. Maybe it would've been nicer in watercolour? Who knows.

0 comments:

Post a Comment